Judge is in HOT water along with those badge wearer’s and other tid bits today March 25, 2014


                                      Image

 

‎Tuesday, ‎25 ‎March, ‎2014
6:01:10 AM

NYPD officer being sued for sexual harassment counter sues accuser.

NYPD Sgt David John is suing former Officer Ann Cardenas who sued him for Sexual Harassment. John claims in his suit that Cardenas was a willing participant in everything that went on between the two of them.

John is alleging that Cardenas sent him sexually charged photos and text messages. He also says that she performed sex acts on him in a booking room in the police station on a number of occasions. John says that Cardenas is now suing just for the money. John is suing Cardenas and the NYPD for $35 million for the damage to his reputation and his inability to find a new job now that he has retired.

Cardenas’ version of the events is being supported by at least 4 other officers. For up-to-date news accounts of this story, photos and to post a comment, please access the links below:
                      Image
North Port Officer arrested another commits suicide after sexual assault investigation.

Officer Ricky Urbina of the North Port, FL Police Department has taken his own life and Officer Melanie Turner has been arrested. Both had been under investigation for a sexual battery they were alleged to have committed at a party on March 2nd.

A judge had signed an arrest warrant for Urbina and Turner. Deputies were on their way to a predetermined location to meet with Urbina who was to turn himself in. That’s when the call came in of “shots fired” at Urbina’s residence. Turner was arrested without incident and charged with principal to sexual battery. For up-to-date news accounts of this story, photos and to post a comment, please access the links below:

North Port Police Department Message Board

03/20/2014 – UPDATE: North Port officer commits suicide

03/20/2014 – North Port cop under investigation commits suicide

03/20/2014 – North Port police officer commits suicide amid sexual battery allegations

03/20/2014 – Party scandal, death, rocks North Port Police Department

03/20/2014 – North Port officer investigated for sexual battery commits suicide, attorney says

03/20/2014 – One officer arrested, another dead after sexual assault allegations
                              Image
Sheriff candidate arrested for felony DUI on way home from filing for office.

Elko County, NV sheriff’s candidate Ron Rylander went to the court house with all of the paperwork needed to file to run fr sheriff. When he left he talked to the media for a few minutes. He then headed for home. Little did he know he was going to make a pit stop on the way. Before he could even get out of town, he got pulled over and arrested by Elko police for Felony DUI along with other charges. Police were seen at his media briefing and appeared to follow Rylander when he drove away.
                 Image
Police able to listen to your calls with Stingray
Police are able to listen to your calls with a special device named Stingray, but they are not releasing many details about it to the public. Police across the country are apparently familiar with the device and use it to capture criminals. Stingray lets them mimic a cell tower to divert calls and listen in to the conversations.

As privacy concerns continue to be the focus of the media, police are being asked questions related to Stingray, according to the Boston Globe. The device can force any cell phone to give up its information to police without the user’s knowledge, and the officers can listen to conversations and get text messages. There is a great deal of secrecy surrounding the device and how police are using it on a daily basis across the country.

Citing the need to protect their work and the device from criminals, police are refusing to share many details about Stingray. They also point to important nondisclosure agreements with the manufacturer of the device that prevent them from sharing details about how it works. These agreements essentially stop them from discussing what type of information the device captures and how it is transmitted to them.

Despite the secrecy, previous lawsuits reveal that innocent people are sometimes caught up in the Stingray because their cell phone conversations can end up being heard by police. Although police try to focus on the suspects and criminals they are after, the device is apparently not able to simply give them one cell phone to access and picks up many phones.

Requests by news stations and concerned citizens to get records from the police about Stingray usually fail, and they end up with nothing or censored copies that black out almost everything. This prevents the public from learning more about the device and how it is affecting privacy. Officials who have become aware of these issues are upset because the police are blaming nondisclosure agreements with a private company on their inability to comply with rules related to disclosure of public records.

One report found that an estimated 25 percent of all police departments in the country are using the technology, but the actual number may be much higher since some departments refused to reply. As the public learns more about Stingray, it is becoming more concerned about the data it is collecting and how police are using it for their jobs.
                      Image
PARAGOULD, Ark. (AP) – An Arkansas woman has been sentenced to probation on charges she permitted child sex abuse.

The Paragould Daily Press reports (http://bit.ly/Q74vIE ) that 34-year-old April M. Crow was sentenced to six years of probation. She had pleaded guilty in Greene County Circuit Court.

Paragould police arrested Crow last year after the Arkansas Child Abuse Hotline received a tip alleging that Crow’s husband, Barry, had been having sex with an underage girl who was a family member. Forty-three-year-old Barry Crow pleaded guilty earlier to a charge of rape and was sentenced to 40 years in prison.

Authorities say the girl told April Crow about the abuse, but April Crow failed to take action to stop it.
                    Image
Authorities have arrested the parents of a 3-month-old boy after an autopsy confirmed the infant died of malnutrition.

Jason Lutz and Ashley Cogar are both charged with second-degree murder in the death of Joseph Lutz. They are from Ventress in Pointe Coupee Parish. Bond has been set at $500,000 each.

“That baby died at the hands of his parents,” said Assistant District Attorney Tony Clayton.

The Pointe Coupee Sheriff’s Office took the pair into custody around 9:30 a.m. Monday. Officials said the child weighed about 7 lbs. when he was born in Oct. 2013, but weighed 6 lbs. when he died. The autopsy revealed the baby died from malnutrition and starved to death.

“I don’t know how to explain it other than that baby was in a horrible condition. His three months must have been hell on earth,” said Clayton.

Clayton will take case to the Grand Jury in the 18th Judicial District Court on Friday at 9 a.m.

The baby was found dead at a home on Patin Dyke Road in Pointe Coupee Parish on Jan. 28, 2014.

The Department of Child & Family Services did take three other children who were at the home when the baby died. They range in age from 2-5. DCFS has since placed them into the custody of their grandmother.
                    Image
Florida man allegedly stabbed his boss, Dimitrios Karaloukas, to death because his employer posted a photo of him on the internet without permission.

Karaloukas was the owner of Jimmy the Greek Taverna in West Boca, where the alleged attacker worked as a dishwasher.

Tilus Lebrun, 42, was taken into custody by police shortly after the attack, which took place at the restaurant.

Palm Beach deputies say Lebrun, was upset that his photo was taken and posed online, reports the Sun Sentinel.

Lebrun moved to Florida from Haiti in 2005 and was living with his cousin, Markenson Augustin. Augustin told the Sun Sentinel he did not know why the photo would anger Lebrun so much.

The alleged attacker is being held without bail on homicide and attempted homicide charges.
                             Image
5-year-old girl found alone over a mile away from home
Two Band Mill residents were arrested on Sunday morning after an underage girl was found wandering.

According to the Izard County Sheriff’s Department, an Arkansas Game and Fish officer found a five-year-old girl alone.

When two deputies arrived to the scene in Band Mill, the girl told them she was hungry and was trying to make her way to her mom’s job in Calico Rock.

Officers then took the girl to where they thought she lived which was a mile and a half away from where she was found.

The sheriff’s department said when Paul and Cindy Duncan answered the door they told deputies the girl was their granddaughter.

Both were cited for endangering the welfare of a minor and given a court date. They both also tested positive for marijuana and methamphetamine, when they were cited. A social worker from the Department of Human Services gave the child back to her mother.

The mother was told to not leave the minor alone with her grandparents because of their neglect.
                      Image

Poor ol’ Patrick Snay. He must have been overjoyed when he won an age discrimination case against his former employer, Gulliver Preparatory School in Miami. The settlement included an $80,000 award plus $10,000 in back pay.

However, the court ruled that the settlement would only stand on the condition that it remained a secret.

Too bad Mr. Snay, 69, failed to let his daughter know about this important element of the ruling. Or perhaps he did. Either way, Dana took to her Facebook page to inform one and all of her dad’s win, posting a message that will have most people throwing their head in their hands.

“Mama and Papa Snay won the case against Gulliver,” Dana wrote to her 1200 Facebook friends shortly after the settlement was reached. “Gulliver is now officially paying for my vacation to Europe this summer. SUCK IT.” Oh dear.

The school discovered Dana’s musings on the case and refused to pay the money, claiming the terms of the agreement had been violated. Mr. Snay went to court in a bid to have the ruling upheld, but last week the Third District Court of Appeal in Florida sided with the school and threw it out, the Miami Herald reported recently.

“Snay violated the agreement by doing exactly what he had promised not to do,” Judge Linda Ann Wells wrote in her ruling. “His daughter then did precisely what the confidentiality agreement was designed to prevent.” In other words, Snay shouldn’t even have told his daughter. And Dana most certainly shouldn’t have broadcast the news on Facebook.

According to the Herald, the confidentiality agreement included Mr. Snay and his wife, but not Dana. However, as you might expect, their daughter was aware of the case at the time, leaving her father to conclude that “we needed to tell her something.” Unfortunately, he omitted to tell her not to announce it on Facebook.

Snay is now considering whether to appeal the decision to the Florida Supreme Court. Presumably the European vacation is on hold.
       Image
Craighead County District Judge Keith Blackman has been admonished by the Arkansas Judicial Discipline and Disability Commission for imposing a fee on some criminal defendants who changed their pleas.

The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports (http://bit.ly/Q1JGhO ) that commission director David Sachar says in a letter to Blackman that the judge violated rules on impartiality, fairness and compliance with the law.

Blackman charged a $35 fee to some defendants who changed their pleas from not guilty to guilty. Blackman called the fees a “witness fee” and a “contempt fee.” He told the commission that the fee was intended to prevent people from abusing the legal process.
             Image
The Arkansas Supreme Court has reassigned the caseload of a judge who is being investigated for online comments he posted anonymously and contributions he received linked to a nursing home that appeared before his court.

Chief Justice Jim Hannah on Monday ordered that a special judge or judges be assigned to hear the cases for Faulkner County Circuit Judge Mike Maggio.

Maggio this month dropped his bid for a seat on the Arkansas Court of Appeals after admitting to posting comments online that were criticized as racist and sexist. A judicial panel is investigating those posts, and also contributions he received from political action committees linked to a nursing home that saw its penalties reduced days after the donations were made.

The order did not specifically refer to either investigation.
                       Image
A Garland county escapee is still on the run nearly one week after she slipped out of court custody.

Authorities are still searching for 25-year-old Mandy Cavanaugh. She’s accused of slipping out her handcuffs and away from a bailiff at the Garland County Circuit Court.

Neighbors near the courthouse expressed concerns over multiple escapes within the past year. The most notable, Derrick Estell, slipped through of a window and out of the jail over the summer, prompting a wide-scale search that ended with his arrest in Florida.

Investigators say Cavanaugh was in court bailiff custody on her way to the county jail for contempt when she broke away and hopped into the back of her husband’s pick-up truck and took off.

The getaway truck is described as a black Chevrolet pickup. Anyone with information is urged to call the Garland County Sheriff’s Office.
                                                  Image
Judge Joe Brown is out of jail tonight after being arrested earlier today in Tennessee.

Brown was arrested for contempt of court Tuesday at Shelby County Juvenile Court.

He officially entered the race for Shelby County District Attorney last month.

The former Shelby County Prosecutor is perhaps better known as the outspoken television court room judge.

In a statement, Juvenile Court Judge Cutis Person said:

“Anyone who comes before the Juvenile Court of Memphis and Shelby County will be treated fairly, with dignity and with respect. Anyone who acts in a contemptuous manner toward this Court, toward any member of this Court, toward any employee of this Court or toward any visitor of this Court will be dealt with appropriately according to the laws of the State of Tennessee.”

Brown was released from jail on his own recognizance after an order was signed by Judge Beasley Tuesday evening.

Image
Finally just for the hell of it. Arkansas is getting a little nutty.

The Natural State has produced an average of at least 10,000 tons of peanuts within the past three years, and it’s now getting some recognition for it.

The National Peanut Board announced Monday that the state has been designated a primary peanut-producing state and will be granted membership on the U.S. board.

Arkansas will be the 11th state to gain membership on the board. The other 10 states on the board are Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Texas and Virginia. There’s one at-large board member who represents minor, peanut-producing states.

Arkansas’ Agriculture Secretary Butch Calhoun says he’s pleased with the announcement and says that Arkansas has the soil, water and climate needed to cultivate peanuts.
Meaning: California is no longer known as the fruits and nuts state, just the fruits state. Arkansas is now known as the nuts state and we all knew that since all the nuts are here by reading the daily news!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s